I had an absolute blast shopping and creating a registry for Emmet full of clothes and toys and so many unnecessary but adorable things. In case you hadn't noticed, baby things are absolutely adorable. There are some very creative and artistic people in this world that devote their lives to making adorable baby things and I envy them! Because of my inability to contain myself when buying things for Emmet and because we have such wonderful people in our lives who also can't contain themselves, we are fully stocked with things that Emmet won't use for several months or even over a year. While it is nice to feel prepared and have those things now, there are really only a few items that we have used over and over these first few weeks with Emmet (other than the very obvious-diapers):
- The Moses Basket-During my 9 months of preparation and research, I knew I wanted to find some sort of bassinet for Emmet to sleep in at night next to our bed for the first few months of his life. I thought that the Halo Bassinet Swivel Sleepers were super cute, but they were also a little bit out of our budget. Instead I found this moses basket and this Jolly Jumper Rocking Moses Stand on amazon for a better price! What we didn't realize is that it would be the most used item for more than just sleeping at night! We take this basket into the living room and kitchen during the day so that little Emmet can always be near us. He naps and there and plays in there while I get the laundry done and make my coffee! It has been a life saver. Since finding and falling in love with our basket I also found these moses baskets from Plum and Sparrow that I absolutely love (this one is my favorite!!). I would definitely recommend the moses basket route!
- Burp Rags-Holy smokes, Burp Rags! We go through at least 4-5 a day. Luckily we stocked up on them AND we do laundry nearly every day so we always have enough. I not only throw them over my shoulder when burping him, I also use them to protect my clothes and his when nursing him, to wipe up the little dribbles that fall out of his mouth, to catch the stream when he falls asleep, and, thanks to my sister in law for the sweet tip, I stuff them in my bra at night so that I'm not changing my shirt 20 times. We got these cute Rosie Pope Burp Rags as well as some Gerber Cloth Diaper inserts for more utility purposes.
- Nursing Bra Pads and Breast Shells- I wasn't prepared for how much I would leak! Just throughout the day and also when nursing, I was leaking through bras and shirts like crazy and it was driving me nuts! I go through, not even kidding you 8-12 nursing bra pads a day. I found these Medela Washable Cotton Nursing Bra Pads at Target that I use and love. Having the washable ones makes me feel just a little bit better about choosing disposable diapers and destroying the earth slowly. I also found these Philips Avent Comfort Breast Shells from Amazon that I use to catch the leakage while nursing the other side! It has been a life saver! I collect any extra for the occasional bottle and it also prevents me from using quite so many nursing bra pads.
- Swaddles- We don't swaddle Emmet all of the time, but we do use it often to comfort him. Our current favorites are Muslin Swaddles and these adorable swaddle sacks from Mint and Arrows. Both work equally well to comfort our little guy when he starts getting fussy! The muslin swaddles are great because they have so many functions! We use them to swaddle him when giving him a bath, to cover up his little legs from the sun in his carseat and stroller, and as we head into the summer months, as a lightweight blanket to throw over him. We received these beautiful Aden and Anais swaddle blankets from Amazon but I also LOVE these ones from Spearmint Love! I just ordered this one the other day. I couldn't help myself when I saw a swaddle blanket covered in Bison. It tickled my little Kansan heart.
- Baby Bath Towels and Burt's Bees Body Wash and Shampoo- Bath time is one of my favorite times of the Day/Week. I do a quick washcloth wash every day and a full bath 2-3 times a week. I love the way Emmet smells after a bath with Burt's Bees Body Wash and Shampoo as well as a rub down with their lotion afterwards. I can't help but smell his little head when I'm burping him- he just smells so good! When bath time is over I love wrapping him up with the shark robe or lobster hooded towel that we got at our baby showers. He just looks so cute in them!